Thursday, July 2, 2015

MIM #216: Adding Color to Cover Plates

Laura Bassen's cards exude happiness. Bright colors, fun, playful nature, lovely techniques... It's amazing how much talent one person can have. Her video this week focuses on adding color to your cover plates. I have several cover plates, and I love them all, so I had to give this one a try.

One of the most beautifullystunning projects I've seen from her was her Copic colored Garden Gild cover plate from a couple of releases ago. I tried my own version with the Ziggy Ziggy Zig pens, but as it was almost a direct copy of Laura's card (completely unintentional, but her card must have seared itself into my creative subconscious), I decided I wanted to make something a little more unique.

I cut the Balloon Bash cover plate from watercolor paper and blended some lovely shades of dried marigold and ripe persimmon and picked raspberry, then "painted" the outlined stars with some Perfect Gold Perfect Pearls mixed with water. I added some die cut balloons from the Birthday Style die set that were cut from watercolor paper. I used my Ziggy pens to add color and shading to match my cover plate die cut, then covered them with Glossy Accents. Some gold die cuts, hot pink sequins from The Ton, and an appropriately celebratory sentiment from Wet Paint III finished it off.

Hope you enjoyed these! I have been working on some backgrounds that I hope finish into cards to show in a day or two. Have a fabulous day, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Emily. Really wonderful ink blending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I won't tell you how many times I had to redo this background haha!

      Delete
  2. I love your always fabulous cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna! So nice to read such kind words. :)

      Delete