Thursday, November 19, 2015

Aurora Borealis

During my crafty "play date" with my friend last weekend, I decided to create my own version of this card by Betsy Veldman from Papertrey Ink's October release. I wanted to use some non-traditional colors that still conveyed the idea of winter, so I chose Vintage Jadeite, Winter Wisteria, and Hawaiian Shores as my color palette. 


For my main panel, I chose to heat emboss the snowflakes onto a piece of A2 sized Fabriano watercolor card stock using Hero Arts White Satin embossing powder. I then took the three ink colors of my chosen color palette and blended them over the embossed snowflakes for an emboss-resist. After it was done, it reminded me so much of the Aurora Borealis lights. I just love this color combination.


The rest of the card was fairly simple, but there are lots of different textures to add dimension. I die cut one of the scalloped quilted tags from minty foil card stock from DCWV. I then die cut the Quilted: Winter quilt block twice: once from silver glitz paper (also from DCWV), then again from regular white CS. I stamped the cut outs with the coordinating stamps for just the center section, as I wanted the lovely foil to shine through and juxtapose with the super sparkly glitz paper. 


I adhered the glitter frame on the scalloped tag die cut, then glued in my stamped die cut pieces. The stitched flag was stamped with a greeting from the Quilted: Winter stamp set, then adhered to the tag. I popped the whole tag up on the card base, then added a silk bow.

I am pretty much in love with this card, and I'm planning on recreating it with several other color combinations. I just love that emboss resist in the background. I hope you enjoyed it, as well! Have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful colors! Love it combined with the black and silver.

    ReplyDelete