Monday, February 22, 2016

Sending comfort in pink and mint


Good morning friends, and happy Monday! I'm here with a quick post today to share a card I made a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to blog about until today. (My children seem to be on a never-ending cycle of illness... is it spring yet?!) I created this panel for The Daily Marker 30 Day Challenge for February, 2016, and this is the finished product. I have been trying to play along faithfully every day, barring illness, and it seems I have a ridiculous amount of card fronts, but not hardly any cards about which to blog!! Good thing coloring is so therapeutic that I don't mind being so unproductive. 

Today's card is one that I'm including in my donation for the Lasting Hearts card drive. I thought that the pale pastel colors were very appropriate for such an occasion. 

To start, I heat embossed the Mondo Magnolia image from Ellen Hutson using Versafine and clear embossing powder onto some Arches Cold Press watercolor paper. If I ever get a decent block of time, I'm going to do some comparisons between different watercolor papers with my Zig markers. I purchased several different kinds of watercolor paper from Hobby Lobby, and the Arches is by far my favorite, but that's a different blog post. I used my favorite pink Zig marker: Sugared Almond Pink, spreading the color out with a wet paintbrush. Because this image is so large, it took me a while to color it to my satisfaction, and I did end up having to go back and add some color and blending after the initial coloring had dried in order to intensify the shading of the petals. 


In order to achieve the soft coloring on the outside of the flower, I used Cracked Pistachio Distress Ink that I tapped onto an acrylic block, then diluted with water. I added water to the areas around the flower with my paintbrush, then dropped in the diluted color. I ended up doing the same "glazing" around the flower, going back in with more color after the initial color had dried in order to intensify the minty goodness. 


Since I spent so much time fussing with the flower, I didn't want to cover it too much when I added the greeting. I chose to use the Winnie and Walter set The Big, the Bold, and the Comfort. I love that you can mix and match and create a crazy amount of sentiments. Since I didn't know to whom this card would be going, and since it's such a difficult situation for the recipient, I just wanted something simple on the front.  A few sequins from the Opal Whisper sequin collection from Lucy Abrams added just a touch of sparkle. I trimmed down the watercolored panel, matted it with PTI's Lovely Lady, then mounted both on a Mint Julep card base (also from PTI). 

That's all from me today! I'm sorry it's been so long between blog posts. Fingers crossed that my kiddos and I all stay healthy! Have a great week, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment