Saturday, September 5, 2015

Watercolored Butterflies and a sale

Hi all!

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend. My mom is going to be visiting us for a few days, so I had to get a quick blog post in before we got busy doing stuff! I received my first order from Butterfly Reflections Ink a few weeks ago, and in it was the Altenew Bejeweled set. As soon as I saw this set, I knew it would be stunning done in watercolor. (Me? Love watercolor? Shocking, I know.) I love beautiful, subtle color washes, and that was the initial intention with this card, but it ended up a bit brighter and more vibrant than I intended. I'm totally okay with it either way. 



I first prepped my Strathmore 300 lb cold press watercolor card stock with an anti static tool, then heat embossed the butterflies and sentiment with Silver Pearl embossing powder. I love the subtle pearl finish from this embossing powder, especially for super elegant cards like this one. It goes so nicely with the pretty pastel watercoloring. I then colored the images with a variety of pastel shades from the Zig Clean Color line. To achieve the color wash around the edges of the butterflies, I first started with the Shadow Mauve color, then after I had blended it out and it dried, I went back in with a very small amount of Cornflour Blue and blended that with the Shadow Mauve (I believe this technique is called "glazing"), which I then blended out with my water and paint brush. I accented with a few sequins just to add some sparkle.


I hope you enjoyed this card and have a fabulous holiday weekend!

PS- speaking of the holiday weekend, Vanessa at BRI has a fabulous sale going on now through Monday: 20% off your entire purchase! (That includes sale and clearance items!) Just use the code LABORDAY2015 at checkout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment