Sign up to get inspiration sent to your email inbox!!

Monday, January 2, 2017

A Blog Named Hero: January Challenge!



Good morning! Today is my first official post as a Design Team member for A Blog Named Hero. For our January 2017 Challenge, we are partnering up with Right At Home stamps and, of course, Hero Arts. 




The challenge this month is "New to Me." This can mean a myriad of crafty possibilities: new technique, new product, new anything... Use your imagination! 

For my project, I wanted to use my brand spanking new Prismacolor colored pencils (my mom got me the full set for Christmas... eek!) for a technique that is relatively new to me: black magic. I sort of modified this oldie-but-goodie technique to use my outline stamps to create a hand-drawn, colored chalkboard look. The lovely folks over at Right At Home also sent us their brand new release, new as in it is available for purchase starting this morning! How's that for new?! Let's get started! 

For the first step, I covered my entire A2 sized panel with the anti-static powder tool, as I was going to be doing a great deal of embossing, and those little white flecks on black card stock drive me bonkers. I stamped the teacup and steam images from Right At Home's brand new Cup O'Joy set and heat embossed them with white embossing powder, then added the greeting from Right At Home's How Have You Bean set (also brand new today!) and heat embossed it. After I had the main focal images placed, I used the lovely, quirky floral images in the Flower Garden set from Hero Arts and white heat embossed them in a wreath shape around my focal point.



After the heat embossing had been completed, I started in on the really fun part: the coloring! The first step was to completely color all of the line images with my white Prismacolor pencil. This helps the color from the colored pencils not get lost on the charcoal gray card stock, keeping the images nice and vibrant. Then, I used my colored pencils to add shading and vibrance to the images, finally blending all of the coloring with a blender pencil. 


The last step was to add a few dots here and there with a white gel pen, which allowed me to fill in some tiny bare areas which I hadn't been able to fill with stamps. 

And that's it for my first official post as a member of the A Blog Named Hero team! Now, it's your turn! You have until January 25 to add your own project to the InLinkz tool on the A Blog Named Hero challenge page using Right at Home and Hero Arts products in a new way. Adding your link puts you in the running for a prize from our fabulous sponsor: Right At Home.

 Have fun, and good luck!   

4 comments: