Sunday, August 7, 2016

I've got the blues...

Not really the sadness kinda blues... though I do have a little of that now that I don't have an excuse to color daily for #thedailymarker30day... I've just got lots of shades of blue in my project for today! I love having so many colored pieces available to just quickly turn into a card, and the Daily Marker challenge certainly stocked me up! 

Today's project is brought to you by Papertrey Ink's oldie-but-goodie Friendship Jar: Summer Fillers. I resisted this series for a long time, because I couldn't justify spending so much money on the starter set when the only stamp I wanted was the jar. But when they released their "Just the Jar" mini sets earlier this year, I jumped on it, and I'm so glad I did. Just LOOK at those hydrangeas! Aren't they fantastic?! Hydrangeas, while not my absolute favorite flower, are in the top three, beaten out only by peonies and anemones. This particular rendition of these hydrangeas reminds me of my wedding. We had beautiful blue hydrangeas everywhere, and they were just this shade of blue. I wish I had even a slightly green thumb, because I would love to have a variety of shades of hydrangeas in our yard. 


To start, I heat embossed the mini jar and that beautiful arrangement of hydrangeas onto Canson Montval watercolor paper using white detail embossing powder. To get that neat turquoise-y mint on the jar, I started by outlining the edges of the jar with the Light Blue Zig marker, then blending that color out with a Green Shadow Zig marker, then pulling the color out and fading it with my wet paintbrush. I really love this color combination and am going to have to remember it. It looks like the antique blue mason jars to me! I colored the hydrangeas with Cornflour Blue in just the centers, using my wet paintbrush again to pull the color out and add shading. A bit of a blue halo around the bouquet and some dark gray shadows to ground it on the bottom finished off the background. 


To finish off the card, I die cut the "note" die from PTI's Don't Forget To Write kit three times from Blueberry Sky card stock, glued them together, then covered it with Glossy Accents to add some dimension. The frame was created by die cutting Spring Rain card stock using my Double Stitched Rectangle dies from The Ton. The final step was gluing down the die cut and adding the sentiment in Smokey Shadow ink.

I hope you've enjoyed my project! I recently reached 1000 followers on Instagram, and I'm planning to do a giveaway in celebration of reaching that personal milestone. I'm trying to decide what prizes to give away, so be on the lookout for an official announcement! Have a fantastic day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment