Sign up to get inspiration sent to your email inbox!!

Friday, March 25, 2016

Hello, Sunshine!

My mom used to sing "You are my Sunshine" to my sister when we were younger. A friend of ours has been going through a bit of a rough time after having her baby, and I thought this sentiment was perfect for her. 


To start, I heat embossed that redonkulous Ranunculus image twice onto some watercolor paper using White Satin Pearl embossing powder from Hero Arts. I wanted some super soft watercolor for this project, so I reached for my Distress Inks. I like the ability to really water down the color when you tap the Distress Inks onto a clear block. Makes the colors so much softer and more muted. For this image, I used Worn Lipstick, Salty Ocean, Evergreen Bough, Mustard Seed, and Shaded Lilac. I simply colored all of the images with their respective colors in a very watered down, muted shade of the Distress color, then went back in and did some glazing with a darker color with a deeper concentration of ink to indicate shading and shadows. After they were dry, I fussy cut them and set them aside. 


The rest of the card is ridiculously simple. I heat embossed the "Sunshine" with the White Satin Pearl embossing powder on the blue card stock, which made it a very pretty shade of the same blue as the card stock. I then added the "hello" in a cobalt blue. One of the bouquets was glued down, while another was popped up with dimensional adhesive along the fold of the card, and I then trimmed the edges off. 

That's it! For as long as it took me to watercolor those bouquets, this card sure is simple.... Oh well. I can't help that I'm a perfectionist (as much as one can be with such a loose medium, anyway). I hope you have a fabulous weekend! 


1 comment: