Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Using up the bits and pieces...

Hello, friends! I'm here with you today to share a card made up with some bits and pieces left on my desk from The Daily Marker 30 Day coloring challenge from a month ago. 
 
I started by stamping the Concord and 9th Flourish using my Zig markers onto watercolor paper, then going over them and filling in any less than perfect spots with a wet paintbrush. Once I had finagled them by adding more color and shading to get the flowers and leaves the way I wanted them, I tried to go for a bit more of an artistic look than I'm used to... I scribbled a little of each flower's coordinating Zig marker onto an acrylic block, then diluted it with water and painted the watered down color around each flower to create a Monet-ish effect. 
My next step was to heat emboss the greeting, from Concord and 9th's By Your Side, using silver embossing powder. To tie in with the silver embossing, I trimmed down the sides of the watercolor panel and added some silver sparkle glitter paper from The Ton to be peeking out on the sides. I mounted the entire thing on a Summer Sunrise card base from PTI.   
Here's a little bit closer look at the watery Monet effect. I like it, but I think I prefer the more precise shading used with my normal method. Fun to try new techniques, though! As one of my daughter's Winnie the Pooh books reminds us, how well would you know you liked your old things if you never tried anything new? 

No comments:

Post a Comment